This page contains information about the following topics:
- Available Funding & Covered Expenses
- Eligibility Requirements
- How to Apply
- We Want to Hear Your Story!
- Contact Information
- Other Helpful Resources
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is committed to helping patients access their treatment in a timely manner, so in partnership with Moppie’s Love, the Urgent Need Program was created. The Urgent Need Program was established to help pediatric and young adult blood cancer patients, or adult blood cancer patients enrolled in clinical trials, who are in acute financial need. The program provides eligible patients assistance for non-medical expenses including rent, mortgage, lodging, utilities, childcare, elder care, food, transportation, car repair, car insurance, phone service, and acute dental work related to treatment. Eligible patients will receive a stipend of $500, once within a 12 month period, for emergent costs that impede the patient from receiving timely treatment.
Support for this program is based on the availability of funds.
**As a non-profit organization, we rely on the generosity of our sponsors. Program continuation is dependent on the availability of funds and the program could be modified or discontinued at any time if funding is limited or no longer available.**
To be eligible for Urgent Need Program, the patient must:
- Be a pediatric (birth to 19 years of age) or young adult (20 to 39 years of age) patient OR be an adult (40+ years of age) patient enrolled in a clinical trial.
- Have a household income that is at or below 500 percent of the U.S. federal poverty guidelines as adjusted by the Cost of Living Index (COLI). You will be asked for the patient’s zip code to determine their COLI.
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. or Puerto Rico
- Have a blood cancer diagnosis confirmed by the care team
- Demonstrated acute financial need, as defined by the program covered expenses
Please note that applications are only accepted by members of the patient’s care team. LLS offers care team members two easy ways to apply on behalf of a patient:
- By Phone: 866-446-7377
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Online: Online portal
24/7, Available in English only
If you are a patient in need of assistance, please have a member of your healthcare team contact LLS directly to apply on your behalf.
Care team members may include:
If this is your first time visiting the Urgent Need Portal, you will need to register before you can start the online application.
To Register: To register you’ll need the following provider information:
- Provider’s email address
- Provider/Facility’s tax ID*
- Provider/Facility’s National Provider Identifier (NPI)*
Once you submit your registration, you'll receive an email (typically within five minutes) directing you to a website to create your password. You can then begin entering your application information.
*Providers without a tax ID or NPI should use that of the primary facility/provider.
To Apply: You'll need the following patient information:
- Patient’s Social Security Number and date of birth
- If patient is a minor (under the age of 18), patient AND guardian’s Social Security Numbers and date of birth are required.
- Patient's name, address, phone number
- Patient's diagnosis
For portal technical support: Please call us at 866-446-7377 or e-mail UrgentNeed@lls.org.
We would love to hear how the financial assistance provided by LLS has helped you. Patient stories help us illustrate the impact and importance of this program in the lives of blood cancer patients.
To submit a story by mail, please send to:
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Co-Pay Assistance Program
3 International Drive, Suite 200, Rye Brook, NY 10573
Thank you for sharing!
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Urgent Need Program
P.O. Box 12268
Newport News, VA 23612
Toll Free Phone: (866)-446-7377
Live Chat is not available for the Urgent Need Program assistance.