CURRENT FUND STATUS:
(Fully Subscribed) Fund is closed and not accepting applications at this time.
If the fund is listed as Open, please visit the How to Apply section to apply.
If the fund is listed as Fully Subscribed, it is at maximum capacity, serving those enrolled, and is no longer accepting applications.
Please note: Changes to funds are reflected on this webpage as quickly as possible. For up-to-the-minute fund status, please call (877) 557-2672. If you started an application prior to a fund becoming fully subscribed, please continue with the application.
This page contains information about the following topics:
- Program Description
- Covered Expenses
- Program Eligibility Criteria
- Apply Now
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- We Want to Hear How This Program Has Helped You!
- Patient Travel Assistance Benefits and Taxable Income
- Contact Information
- Program Support
- Other Helpful Resources
To access this page in Spanish, click here.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Susan Lang Pre CAR T-cell Therapy Travel Assistance program is available to blood cancer patients with significant financial need. The fund provides financial assistance to patients diagnosed with a blood cancer who are being evaluated to receive CAR T-cell therapy as either standard treatment or a clinical trial.
CAR T-cell therapy is a form of immunotherapy that uses specially altered T cells. A sample of a patient's T cells are collected from the blood, then modified in a lab to produce special structures called chimeric antigen receptors (CARs) on their surface. Then, these CAR T cells are reinfused back into the patient's blood.
Assistance covers travel and lodging expenses from the evaluation phase through the end of the patient eligibility phase. At the end of the patient eligibility phase, please call the program at (877) 557-2672 to deactivate your card. All unused funds will help support other patients being evaluated for pre CAR T-cell therapy.
Patients cannot receive travel assistance from more than one fund in a 6-month period.
**As a non-profit organization, we rely on the generosity of our sponsors. Program continuation is dependent on the availability of funds and the program could be modified or discontinued at any time if funding is limited or no longer available. Please visit our website in the future to become aware of new funding.**
Those who qualify will receive $2,500 to cover the cost of treatment-related travel and lodging expenses for the patient and caregiver including: ground transportation; tolls; gas; parking; car rental; car maintenance, repairs and parts; air transportation; baggage fees; lodging; and ambulance services.
Please note the following expenses are not covered: food and beverages, alcohol, tobacco, clothing, medical/pharmacy expenses, and international travel.
- Have a household income that is at or below 600 percent of the U.S. federal poverty guidelines as adjusted by the Cost of Living Index (COLI). You will be asked for your zip code to determine your COLI.
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. or U.S. territories.
- Have a blood cancer diagnosis confirmed by a doctor
- Be in the process of being evaluated for CAR T-cell therapy, as either standard treatment or a clinical trial
- Patients may be insured or uninsured
STEP 1: Gather the following information:
- The patient’s demographic information (including their Social Security number and date of birth) and their contact information
- If the patient is a minor, you will need a guardian Social Security number as well.
- The name of the diagnosis.
- Household financial income.
- The name of treating physician and his/her phone/fax numbers.
- This information will not be shared and is for verification purposes only.
**UPDATE DUE TO COVID-19**
NOTE: this is a temporary workaround given the national health emergency.
For new applicants, in the event that you are unable to get your doctor to sign off on the Diagnosis Verification Form for your application, we will accept a portion of your electronic medical record (EMR) or other documentation that shows the diagnosis/ICD-10 code.
STEP 2: Contact the program
- By Phone: (877) 557-2672
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET
- Online Portals: For Patients | For Medical Healthcare Providers
24/7, Available in English only
Please note: There is a separate portal for the Co-Pay Assistance Program.
Awards are based on a first-come first-served basis, for as long as funding is available. Submitting the application doesn't guarantee acceptance in the program. Your application will be reviewed, and you will be notified of your status.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is pleased to share the story behind our Susan Lang Pay-It-Forward Patient Travel Assistance Program:
We would love to hear how the financial assistance provided by LLS has helped you. Patient stories help us illustrate the impact and importance of this program in the lives of blood cancer patients.
To submit a story by mail, please send to:
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Patient Financial Assistance Programs
3 International Drive, Suite 200, Rye Brook, NY 10573
Thank you for sharing!
As a charity, LLS is exempt from federal income tax and individuals who receive assistance from a charity to meet their personal needs do not generally have to pay federal income tax on the value of the assistance they receive. With this being said it should not affect their ability to receive financial assistance from the government or affect their income taxes.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Susan Lang Pay-It-Forward Patient Travel Assistance Program
PO Box 12268
Newport News, VA 23612
Toll Free Number: (877) 557-2672
Fax: (866) 808-3793
LLS is delighted to fund the Susan Lang Pre CAR T-cell Therapy Travel Assistance program. Additional support is provided by:
- Bristol Myers Squibb
- Kite, A Gilead Company
- Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR) T-Cell Therapy
- Financial Resources (Other Helpful Organizations)
- Access this page in Spanish