Transplantation: Blood and Marrow
Amy’s Rays of Sunshine
Patients ages 18-50 who are having a bone marrow transplant in the U.S.
Provides encouragement, positivity, and hope to patients who are starting their bone marrow transplants by giving them a box of handwritten inspirational cards, notes, and other items during this physically and emotionally challenging time.
Be The Match
Patients, caregivers and families before, during and after a blood or marrow transplant (BMT), healthcare professionals, researchers
To create an opportunity for all patients to receive the blood, marrow, or umbilical cord blood transplant they need; to provide free support, information and transplant-related resources
- Be The Match, operated by the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP), manages the largest and most diverse marrow registry in the world; conducts research to improve transplant outcomes; provides legislative advocacy to protect patient access to care; provides clinical education for healthcare professionals
- Certified oncology patient navigators and licensed social workers provide confidential, one-on-one support and reliable, easy-to-understand information from diagnosis through recovery. Emotional support is provided through counseling and support groups as well as through connections with others who’ve been through transplant
- Helps to access financial grants and insurance resources, including Be The Match grants for transplant patients and blood cancer patients enrolling in clinical trials
- Provides personalized support to search for and join clinical trials, including the Jason Carter Clinical Trials Program. Visit www.jcctp.org or call 888-814-8610 for details
- Be The Match and Corporate Chaplains of America offers free, confidential, non-denominational virtual spiritual support services for patients and their loved ones.
Blood & Marrow Transplant Information Network (BMT InfoNet)
Transplant patients, survivors and their caregivers in the U.S.
BMT InfoNet is dedicated to providing transplant patients, survivors and their loved ones with emotional support and high quality, easy-to-understand information about bone marrow, peripheral blood stem cell and cord blood transplants.
- Offers easy-to-understand information about bone marrow, peripheral blood stem cell and cord blood transplants
- Transplant Directory search tool
- Educational webcasts
- Caring Connections, a program that links people who are considering a transplant, or a family member, with others who have been through transplant and can offer support
- Counseling services to help patients understand treatment options and potential healthcare providers
- BMT InfoNet Drug Database is a guide that lists many of the drugs bone marrow, stem cell and cord blood transplants patients receive during treatment; it explains why they are used and some of the possible side effects.
Patient Assistance Fund offers a limited amount of financial assistance for gas, food, rent or other necessities. Social workers may apply on behalf of a patient via phone or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
People with an interest in bone marrow and stem cell transplantation, worldwide
To motivate, empower and enlighten people with an interest in bone marrow transplantation through peer support, education and awareness of this difficult but potentially life-saving procedure.
- Offers an online “Chat Room” three times weekly to share information and network with others.
Individuals willing to donate bone marrow or organize a donor drive
To fight against blood cancer and blood disorders by creating awareness, recruiting bone marrow donors, raising funds, improving therapies and supporting patients.
- Formerly known as Delete Blood Cancer DKMS, this international nonprofit provides information about registering to be a donor, organizing donor drives, and the process of donating bone marrow.
- DKMS is affiliated with the National Marrow Donor Program, so every person registered with DKMS is listed on the Be The Match Registry®.
Gift of Life Bone Marrow Foundation
Gift of Life is one of the nation’s public bone marrow registries helping children and adults find donors for bone marrow transplants.
To facilitate transplantation of volunteer unrelated donor stem cells as curative therapy for patients around the world of all socioeconomic backgrounds, suffering from leukemia and a wide-range of life-threatening diseases.
- Provides information on becoming a stem cell donor
- Provides information and resources about transplants
- Provides search process and case management to assist health professionals find donor matches for patients.
Help Hope Live
Transplant patients or those with catastrophic injury or illness
To support community-based fundraising for people with unmet medical expenses and related costs due to cell and organ transplants or catastrophic injuries and illness.
- Will help a patient develop a fundraising strategy to help with medical bills, insurance, household expenses, transportation, etc. Call for details regarding fees related to donations.
Icla da Silva Foundation
Those in need of a stem cell transplant or anyone looking to be a bone marrow donor
To save lives by recruiting bone marrow donors and by providing support services to children and adults with leukemia and other diseases treatable by marrow transplants.
National Bone Marrow Transplant Link (nbmtLINK)
Patients, caregivers who have had or will have a bone marrow/stem cell transplant in the U.S.
To help patients, caregivers, and families cope with the social and emotional challenges of bone marrow/stem cell transplant from diagnosis through survivorship by providing vital information and personalized support services.
- Offers educational publications, webcasts, online library
- Provides an extensive volunteer peer support program
- Offers Telephone Education and Support Group for Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant Survivors: Coping with Chronic Graft versus Host Disease (4 week program).
The Bone Marrow & Cancer Foundation
Cancer and transplant patients and families, caregivers, survivors
To improve the quality of life for cancer and transplant patients and their families by providing vital financial assistance, comprehensive resources, educational information, physician referrals, and emotional support programs.
- CancerBuddy provides a user-friendly digital experience to help people affected by cancer across the US find buddies, share experiences and resources, provide support, and build a supportive community of peers
- Clinical Care Counseling provides confidential individual and family supportive counseling, financial guidance and resource referrals for cancer, transplant patients, and family members
- Patient Navigators provide guidance and support to anyone faced with a cancer diagnosis or needing a bone marrow transplant
- Ask the Expert enables individuals to anonymously pose questions concerning transplantation and to have them answered by transplant specialists
- Lifeline Fund provides financial support to help cover the costs of donor searches, medications, home and child care services, medical equipment, transportation, cord blood banking, housing costs and other expenses associated with transplant
- Carelines provides social media tools for crowdfunding, journaling and a volunteer task calendar for anyone with a cancer diagnosis or receiving a bone marrow, stem cell or cord blood transplant
- Your Transplant Journey Handbook provides comprehensive transplant information and resources
Please note that these resources are regularly reviewed to ensure that links still work correctly and that the resources listed continue to be helpful to our visitors. If you find that a link isn't working or information is incorrect, please email email@example.com. If you would like for us to consider adding your organization to this resource, please complete and submit this form.