Skip to main content

Returning to School

Consider educating family members, friends, school personnel and healthcare providers about your child's possible long-term and late effects of treatment. In particular, talk with teachers about your child's needs before he or she returns to school, as they and other school personnel may not be aware of the potential for long-term and late effects of treatment.

Neuropsychological Testing. Any child who is at risk for cognitive effects or is having difficulty in school should have neuropsychological testing done by a licensed pediatric psychologist or neuropsychologist to check for possible learning challenges. Ask your child’s healthcare team for a referral. Find out if neuropsychological testing is covered by insurance as it can be expensive. When testing is complete, schedule time for the neuropsychologist to explain the results and make any recommendations for adjustments or accommodations that can support your child at school. If needed, ask the neuropsychologist to help explain the recommendations to the school staff. These recommendations will also be used to help determine if your child needs a formal education plan such as an
Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan.

School Psychological Assessment. If neuropsychological testing is not an option, a school-based assessment may help to determine your child’s educational needs or may be required by the school. These assessments are usually performed to determine if your child is eligible for special education programs. Generally, school-based assessments are less effective at linking cancer treatment with learning or behavior problems. Ask your child’s school administrators for more information.

 Read the PDF, School, for more information.

 See Worksheet 15: Information for School Staff


Related Links