- Generic Name:
- Drug Type:
- Growth factor
- How the Drug is Given:
Subcutaneous (SC) injection or intravenously (IV)
- Leukine ®
Indications and Usage
Sargramostim is FDA approved
- To shorten time to neutrophil recovery and to reduce the incidence of severe and life-threatening infections and infections resulting in death following induction chemotherapy in adult patients 55 years and older with acute myeloid leukemia (AML).
- For the mobilization of hematopoietic progenitor cells into peripheral blood for collection by leukapheresis and autologous transplantation in adult patients.
- For the acceleration of myeloid reconstitution following autologous bone marrow or peripheral blood progenitor cell transplantation in adult and pediatric patients 2 years of age and older.
- For the acceleration of myeloid reconstitution following allogeneic bone marrow transplantation in adult and pediatric patients 2 years of age and older.
- For treatment of delayed neutrophil recovery or graft failure after autologous or allogeneic bone marrow transplantation in adult and pediatric patients 2 years of age and older.
- To increase survival in adult and pediatric patients from birth to 17 years of age acutely exposed to myelosuppressive doses of radiation (Hematopoietic Syndrome of Acute Radiation Syndrome [H-ARS]).
Side effects needing medical attention
Serious allergic reactions; infusion related reactions (trouble breathing, skin flushing, a fast pulse, dizziness or you feel faint during or soon after your infusion); too much body fluid (fluid retention); Capillary Leak Syndrome; abnormal heart rhythm; increased white blood cell count (leukocytosis); fever; nausea; diarrhea; vomiting; mouth sores; weakness and lack of energy; generally do not feel well; decreased appetite; rash; stomach and intestine problems; hair loss; headache and high blood pressure; liver problems; skin reactions; infections; abnormal amount of salts and other minerals in the blood; urinary tract problems; lung problems; nervous system problems; weight loss.