|Brand name(s), other common name(s)||Rituxan®|
|Biosimilar* name(s)||Rituximab-abbs (Truxima®)|
|Drug type||Monoclonal antibody|
|How the drug is given||Intravenously (IV)|
Indications and Usage
is FDA approved for the treatment of adult patients with:
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)
- Relapsed or refractory, low grade or follicular, CD20-positive Bcell NHL as a single agent.
- Previously untreated follicular, CD20-positive, B-cell NHL in combination with first line chemotherapy and, in patients achieving a complete or partial response to RITUXAN in combination with chemotherapy, as single-agent maintenance therapy.
- Non-progressing (including stable disease), low-grade, CD20- positive, B-cell NHL as a single agent after first-line cyclophosphamide, vincristine, and prednisone (CVP) chemotherapy.
- Previously untreated diffuse large B-cell, CD20-positive NHL in combination with (cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone) (CHOP) or other anthracycline-based chemotherapy regimens.
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL)
- Previously untreated and previously treated CD20-positive CLL in combination with fludarabine and cyclophosphamide (FC).
Side effects needing medical attention
Fever; chills; difficulty breathing or shortness of breath; sensation of tongue or throat swelling; hives; itching; weakness; headache; nausea; vomiting; flushing; palpitations; chest pain; rash; dizziness; coughing; unusual tiredness or fatigue; unusual bruising or bleeding; muscle or joint pain; abdominal pain; diarrhea.
In patients with prior hepatitis B (HBV) infection, HBV reactivation may occur when the body's immune system is impaired.
Side effects needing medical attention after stopping this medication
Black, tarry stools; blood in urine or stools; painful or difficult urination; pinhead-sized red spots on skin; unusual bleeding or bruising; unusual tiredness or weakness.
*A biosimilar is a biological product that is highly similar to and has no clinically meaningful differences from an existing FDA-approved reference product. Click here for more information.