|Generic name||Imatinib mesylate|
|Brand name(s), other common name(s)||Gleevec®|
|Drug type||Tyrosine kinase inhibitor|
|How the drug is given||By mouth|
Indications and Usage
Imatinib mesylate is FDA approved to treat
- Newly diagnosed adult and pediatric patients with Philadelphia chromosome positive chronic myeloid leukemia (Ph+ CML) in chronic phase
- Patients with Philadelphia chromosome positive chronic myeloid leukemia (Ph+ CML) in blast crisis (BC), accelerated phase (AP), or in chronic phase (CP) after failure of interferon-alpha therapy
- Adult patients with relapsed or refractory Philadelphia chromosome positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Ph+ ALL)
- Pediatric patients with newly diagnosed Philadelphia chromosome positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Ph+ ALL) in combination with chemotherapy
- Adult patients with myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases (MDS/MPD) associated with PDGFR (platelet-derived growth factor receptor) gene re-arrangements as determined with an FDA-approved test
- Adult patients with hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES) and/or chronic eosinophilic leukemia (CEL) who have the FIP1L1-PDGFRα fusion kinase (mutational analysis or FISH demonstration of CHIC2 allele deletion) and for patients with HES and/or CEL who are FIP1L1- PDGFRα fusion kinase negative or unknown.
Side effects needing medical attention
Black, tarry stools; bleeding problems; bloating or swelling of face, hands, lower legs and/or feet; chest pain; chills; cough; decreased urination or painful or difficult urination; fever; pale skin; rapid weight gain; weight loss; shortness of breath or trouble breathing on exertion; sore throat; sores, ulcers or white spots on lips or in mouth; swollen glands; unusual tiredness or weakness; convulsions (seizures); dry mouth; increased thirst; irregular heartbeat; loss of appetite; mood changes; muscle pain or cramps; nausea and vomiting; numbness or tingling in hands, feet or lips; small red or purple spots on skin or rash; tightness in chest; wheezing; bone pain; increased bowel movements; loose stools; bloody nose; constipation; headache; joint pain; night sweats; acid indigestion; itchy skin; upset stomach.