What is an Honored Hero?
An Honored Hero:
- Provides inspiration and support to staff members, event participants, and volunteers who support the mission of The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
- Is anyone who has received a diagnosis of leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease, or myeloma.
- Serves as a symbol of strength, motivation, support, and determination.
- Encourages people participating in LLS events or those interested in getting involved.
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society encourages the Honored Heroes to become as involved as possible. Both the Hero and those they inspire get more out of the relationship if all parties are committed to the program. The Heroes support the event and provide inspiration by attending and/or speaking at meetings, kick-offs, and events, maintaining contact with participants via email and mail, and writing letters or drawing pictures.
Check out the stories of some of our Honored Heroes here!
What We Ask of You
There are a few obligations and commitments that we ask of LLS Honored heroes and will vary per event. Honored Heroes may be invited to attend several programs and/or events throughout the year to meet and network with the individuals who support the LLS mission.
We encourage you to:
- Attend as many events and meet as many LLS supporters as possible.
- Write letters, send emails, or call event participants on behalf of LLS to provide encouragement and share appreciation.
- Have fun and make new friends who are all helping to find a cure for blood cancer!
How to Get Involved
The staff of LLS Illinois will make every effort to ensure that you, our Honored Hero, are informed about events and programs taking place in your honor, as well as the outcomes of those events and programs upon their conclusion.
If you are interested in participating in this program and becoming an Honored Hero, please complete a profile on VolunteerLLS.org and select the Honored Hero opportunity. A staff member will then contact you. For questions and for addtional information, please contact Michelle Mayer at Michelle.Mayer@lls.org or 312-568-7736.
We are excited to hear from you!