Trusts can blend your estate planning needs and your charitable wishes.
Charitable Remainder Trust
This popular type of trust can be customized in many ways to provide income to you or others for life or for a specified term. When the trust ends, the remaining assets are gifted to charitable beneficiaries. A charitable remainder trust offers many benefits:
- Flexibility - You select rate, term, income recipients and charitable beneficiaries
- Increased income if the trust is funded with low-yielding assets
- Fixed or variable payments to income beneficiaries
- An income tax deduction when the trust is created
- Capital gains tax benefits if funded with appreciated assets
- Federal estate tax savings and reduced estate settlement costs
Charitable Lead Trust
Donors who are not seeking additional current income but are concerned about preserving the value of an estate when passing assets to heirs might find benefits in a charitable lead trust.
In this reverse of the remainder trust, a lead trust pays income to charities for the term of the trust. The remainder goes to individuals that you named. This can be a tax-wise way to transfer appreciating assets to heirs by freezing the value at the date the trust is created. The lead trust offers these benefits:
- Flexibility - You select rate, term, charitable income recipients and remainder beneficiaries
- Fixed or variable payments to charitable income recipients
- Accelerated income tax deduction for future charitable gifts into the current year
- Family beneficiaries will receive assets when the trust terminates free of gift or estate taxes on any growth that occurs within the trust.
Get More Information
To learn more about using trusts to combine your financial goals for loved ones and to promote blood cancer research, please contact Kay Koehler, director of estate planning at 561-312-3573 or email@example.com.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and request our free booklet, Trusts for Tomorrow.
To read more about Wills, Annuities & Planned Gifts, please access the links below.
A Gift By Will
Retirement plans, Insurance Policies, Beneficiary Designations
Charitable Gift Annuities
Ensuring Your Wishes Are Carried Out
Estate Planning Tools