|Brand name(s), other common name(s)||ImbruvicaTM|
|Drug type||BTK inhibitor|
|How the drug is given||By mouth|
Indications and Usage
Ibrutinib has been FDA-approved to treat patients with:
- Mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) who have received at least one prior therapy
- Accelerated approval was granted for this indication based on overall response rate. Continued approval for this indication may be contingent upon verification of clinical benefit in confirmatory trials.
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL)
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia with 17p deletion
- Waldenström macroglobulinemia (WM)
Side effects needing medical attention
Low blood platelet count; diarrhea; low white blood cell count; low red blood cell count; fatigue; muscle and bone pain; swelling of legs and feet; upper respiratory tract infection; nausea; bruising; shortness of breath; constipation; rash; stomach (abdomen) pain; vomiting; decreased appetite; fever; joint pain; mouth sores; sinus infection; and dizziness.
Serious side effects
Bleeding problems; infections; decrease in blood cell counts; kidney problems; second primary cancers.