November 14, 2012 - Myeloma - Diagnosis and Treatment Update
Your order contains item(s) View Order
- Goals of myeloma treatment
- Current treatments and emerging therapies, including updates on stem cell transplantation and maintenance therapy
- Updates on side effects management
- The importance of patient and healthcare team communications
Director, Multiple Myeloma Center
Associate Attending Physician
Division of Hematology/Oncology
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
New York, New York
Questions Asked by the Myeloma Community
- Is it possible to start treatment for myeloma too soon?
- Would starting treatment too soon hinder any chances of reaching remission?
- What is the difference between lytic lesions and osteoblastic lesions?
- Can you please tell use what criteria determine a complete response and does this vary among different treatment specialists?
- Is there anything diet or exercise-wise that will dramatically impact how well a patient is doing with the disease?
- Does foot neuropathy go away?
- Is bortezomib (Velcade®) a medicine that can help myeloma or is there another choice?
- Do patients who have a stem cell transplant early, as opposed to lenalidomide (Revlimid®) or some other drug therapy, generally have a better outcome?
- Does taking dexamethasone cause blurry eyes? Would another steroid be a better choice that would help this side effect and also still help treat myeloma?
- Do the topics today focus primarily on older patients or are they also for younger patients?
- Can hot flashes and extreme itching be side effects of multiple myeloma?
- How can someone living in a remote or rural area and unable to travel get the best available treatment and research advances in their home community?
- How can a patient's community physician link up with a treatment or research center?
- After a Velcade and dexamethasone regimen and a stem cell transplant, should a patient be on maintenance or wait for symptoms to reoccur?
- Please discuss secondary cancers with lenalidomide (Revlimid®) maintenance.
- After being off Revlimid for five months, how long will the side effects continue and will they ever go away?
- Is it okay to take etanercept (Enbrel®) for rheumatoid arthritis after also being diagnosed with multiple myeloma?
- What information is available about the genetic nature of multiple myeloma?
- What is the role of free light chain criteria in determining when to start treatment?