June 3, 2013 - Living With Myeloma - Treatment and Side Effects Management
Your order contains item(s) View Order
- Current and emerging therapies for myeloma
- The role of clinical trials in the advancement of myeloma treatment for patients
- The importance of patient-provider communications about treatment side effects and management
- Communication touch points among patients and healthcare providers
- Issues for people living with myeloma
S. Vincent Rajkumar, MD
Professor of Medicine
Chair, Mayo Clinic Myeloma, Amyloidosis, Dysproteinenemia Group
Questions Asked by the Myeloma Community
- What is the connection between myeloma and amyloidosis?
- And there difficulties in treating a patient who has myeloma and amyloidosis? What are the treatment options?
- What has your research shown regarding how long a patient should be on bisphosphonates after stem cell transplant?
- What can be done about the large red welts at the site of the injection after receiving subcutaneous bortezomib (Velcade®) injections twice a month?
- What are the crucial questions or things that a newly diagnosed patient needs to ask about or be aware of?
- After taking Velcade, diarrhea and very severe neuropathy in the toes and the fingers developed. How are these issues cured?
- What is the longest length of time that a patient can remain on lenalidomide (Revlimid®) after transplant, if the patient has no serious side effects?
- Other than lab tests, how would you recognize a patient might be refractory to Revlimid?
- Isn't zoledronic acid (Zometa®) good for your bones to strengthen them?
- If a patient has no chromosomal or genetic abnormalities, is it possible for this patient to develop such anomalies in the future?
- What is your opinion on maintenance medication?
- What can reduce the side effect of significant flushing and burning in the eyes from dexamethasone?
- Apart from getting filgrastim (Neupogen®), what can be done to help increase the white count?
- Can you please talk about the evolution of vaccines for the treatment of multiple myeloma, particularly things that are in trial now?
- Regarding subcutaneous Velcade for maintenance post-transplant after a remission has been achieved, what is the dosage recommended, the frequency recommended, and the length of time that Velcade should be used for maintenance?
- After initial therapy, if remission is achieved, would you also suggest a stem cell transplant be done?
- Is there a supplement or supplements that should or shouldn't be taken if a patient has myeloma?
- Are emotional outbursts a side effect of Velcade?
- Do you have any thoughts on taking curcumin together with Revlimid for maintenance?