September 14, 2011 - Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma: Understanding Your Treatment Options
Your order contains item(s) View Order
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)
- Emerging treatments for NHL
- The role of clinical trials in the improvement of NHL treatment
- Quality of life issues in the treatment of patients with NHL
Carol S. Portlock, MD
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Professor of Clinical Medicine
New York Weill Cornell University Medical College
New York, NY
Questions Asked by the NHL Community
- If a patient develops an acquired allergy to rituximab (Rituxan®), what alternative antibodies may be available in the future?
- Is there a humanized form of ibritumomab tiuxetan (Zevalin®) or tositumomab and iodine I 131 (Bexxar®)?
- Could you address the results of the trial (in which researchers genetically engineered patients' T cells to attack cancer cells in advanced cases of leukemia) from the University of Pennsylvania? Will there be any centers that might be trying this new treatment?
- How can a patient make sure to get an accurate diagnosis?
- What is the significance of elevated IgM levels in relationship to lymphoma?
- Is a CAT scan or MRI advised in conjunction with follow-up appointments when no symptoms of recurrence are present?
- Is there any evidence to suggest that weekly infusions of IgG are helping to hold off a recurrence of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- How often do you get a false-positive reading on a PET scan?
- What can patients do to maintain good health?
- What is the value of continuing Rituxan and other similar prophylaxis after initial R-CHOP treatment, specifically in follicular or indolent lymphomas?
- What are the most promising clinical trials for follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- Why would a marginal zone lymphoma patient keep losing his/her balance, have a hard time breathing and come down with cough?
- Do you feel that the survival rate at 3 years is the same as the survival rate at five years for diffuse large B-cell lymphoma?
- Are there any vaccines that are available to prevent diffuse large B-cell lymphoma?
- Is there any link between environmental factors or PCBs and the cause of lymphoma?
- When should patients have a stem cell transplant?
- Is there an age limit for a stem cell transplant? How old is too old?