October 25, 2011 - CML Expert Information About Diagnosis and Treatment
Date: October 25, 2011
Time: 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. ET
Read: Transcript | Transcript (Spanish) | CML News Links | Enlaces con información sobre LMC
Download: Program Slides | Program Slides (Spanish)
Listen: Presentation | Q&A Session | Presentation (Spanish) | Q&A Session (Spanish)
Access: Virtual Lecture (English and Spanish)
- Current and emerging treatment options for the newly diagnosed
- Importance of monitoring treatment response
- Role of clinical trials in CML treatment
- Quality of life issues
Michael J. Mauro, MD
Associate Professor, Division of Hematology-Medical Oncology
Department of Medicine
Center for Hematologic Malignancies
Knight Cancer Institute at Oregon Health & Science University
Questions Asked by the CML Community
- What is the latest research on patients in major molecular remission who have come off of their medication?
- Why do some people get sick after taking imatinib (Gleevec®), even on a full stomach?
- What is the life expectancy for a patient that has taken Gleevec, switched to nilotinib (Tasigna®) and achieved an optimal response?
- For patients diagnosed with CML in their early 30s, is there a recommendation to have a bone marrow transplant before 50, even if they have CMR (complete molecular response)?
- Can a drug affect organs in the body even if a patient is responding well to it?
- How accurate are the results of a cytogenetic bone marrow study?
- Can a shingles vaccine be given to a CML patient who has already had shingles episodes?
- Would the information in this presentation about CML apply to Ph-positive ALL patients?
- If Gleevec is working, should a patient continue taking it or should he/she consider any of the later approved drugs like dastatinb (Spyrcel®) or Tasigna?
- Can a young man on Gleevec be a father to a healthy child?
- If Gleevec, Spyrcel and Tasigna do not work, is there something new that?s coming out that maybe could help?
- If a patient switches from one CML drug to another, how much time should lapse between stopping the first one and starting the second one?
- Why does Novartis charge so much for their drug?
- Can you address the latest with regards to the development of a CML immunization?