Skin Care, Hair Care, Wigs and Makeup
Disclaimer: These resources are regularly reviewed to ensure that links still work correctly and the resources listed continue to be helpful to our visitors. If you find that a link isn't working or information is incorrect or if you'd like to have your own organization listed here, please email email@example.com. Because we want to be sure that our visitors find the most relevant resources, we encourage you to visit the organization's website for more detailed information.
Contact: Website only - available in English and SpanishPopulation served: Anyone seeking information on chemotherapy or cancer treatment, including clinical trials
Other language(s): Spanish
Mission: Designed to provide the latest information about chemotherapy to patients and their families, caregivers and friends.
The site focuses on care during chemotherapy including information about FDA approved chemotherapy medications, nutrition, managing side effects and self-care tips. The content is continually updated and reviewed by oncology specialists.Editorial board consisting of physicians and nurses whose specialty is oncology review all content before posting on the site.
Childhood Leukemia Foundation
Population served: Children with cancer and their families
Mission: To educate, empower and raise awareness and the necessary funds to support programs that benefit children living with cancer. Programs improve health literacy, increase self-esteem and empower cancer victims with hope. CLF believes that by working together, we can make a difference one child at a time.
- HUGS U WEAR offers human hair wigs to young cancer patients who have lost their own hair due to chemotherapy treatments. The Hug U Wear is a 100% human hair wig that is sewn into a lightweight cap and comes with a detachable hat. The child can choose from several styles to help deal with the stress and embarrassment of hair loss
- WISH BASKETS provides Wish Baskets to help lift the spirits of these young cancer patients during a particularly difficult time in their lives. The baskets are filled with age appropriate items such as pajama bottoms with a matching pillow case, an MP3 player, individual games and a $50 Gift Card to purchase another wish item(s) of their choice
- HOPE BINDERS to help improve a patient's level of health literacy. Pediatric oncology patients and their families are often overwhelmed with the amount of medical and insurance information associated with a chronic illness such as cancer. The Hope Binder has 12 sections to reference and record, in their own words, medical information regarding the child's treatment. The binders also include an assortment of informational booklets regarding pain management and dietary tips, as well as, a 75 minute pre-paid telephone calling card to keep in close contact with friends and family.
Hair Club for Kids
Population served: Children with any disease diagnosis, in the U.S. and Canada between 6 and 17 years of age, who have experienced hair loss
Other language(s): Offers translation services over the phone
Mission: Provides hair systems to children experiencing hair loss with any disease diagnosis.
Population served: Cancer patients and other medical patients who lose their hair due to a disease or the treatment of a disease.
Mission: To provide brand-new hats for cancer patients and other medical patients who lose their hair due to a disease or the treatment of a disease; to provide hats to individuals and hospitals in order to help the patients feel better about themselves and to give them the extra courage and hope to win their fight.
Knots of Love
Population served: People who may be undergoing chemotherapy, or who are burn victims, brain surgery patients, head trauma patients, or individuals with alopecia
Mission: To warm the hearts and heads of those experiencing traumatic hair loss by knitting and crocheting caps with love.
- Hats are delivered free of charge to patients across the country
Locks of Love
Population Served: Financially disadvantaged children under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis
Mission: To return a sense of self, confidence and normalcy to children suffering from hair loss by utilizing donated ponytails to provide the highest quality hair prosthetics to financially disadvantaged children. The children receive hair prostheses free of charge or on a sliding scale, based on financial need.
Look Good Feel Better
Population Served: Women cancer patients
Other language(s): Spanish
Mission: To improve the self-esteem and quality of life of people undergoing treatment for cancer; to improve their self-image and appearance through complimentary group, individual, and self-help beauty sessions to create a sense of support, confidence, courage and community.
- Holds group workshops that teach beauty techniques to female cancer patients to help them combat the appearance-related side effects of cancer treatment.
Look Good Feel Better for Teens
Population served: Teens 13 to 17 who are dealing with cancer
Mission: Look Good Feel Better for Teens is a hospital-based public service program created by the Personal Care Products Council Foundation and its collaborators to help girls and guys between the ages of 13 and17 deal with the appearance, health, and social side effects of cancer treatment.
- On-site groups available at participating cancer centers.
- Please see website for locations2bMe.org serves as an online component of Look Good Feel Better® for Teens, a free public service program for adolescents 13 to 17 that provides information dealing with the appearance and sociological side effects related to cancer and its treatment.
Nicki Leach Foundation
Populations Served: Young adults between 16-25 who have been diagnosed with a life threatening, malignant medical condition.
Mission: To provide financial assistance to children and young adults between the ages of 16 and 25 diagnosed with a life threatening, malignant medical condition.
- Funding may help with car payments, clothes, hair or makeup, purchasing a camera, computer, or travel costs.
TLC Tender Loving Care
Population served: Women in treatment for cancer and survivors of breast cancer
Mission: To help women cope during and after cancer treatment by providing wigs and other hair loss products, as well as mastectomy products, all at affordable prices.
- TLC is part of ACS Products, Inc., an affiliate of the American Cancer Society
- Many ACS offices distribute free wigs to women who are experiencing hair loss due to cancer treatment; call 800-ACS-2345 to see if an office near you participates in this free wig program.
Wigs for Kids
Population served: Patients 18 years and under (sometimes older if still in school) who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy, radiation therapy, Alopecia, Trichotillomania, burns and other medical issues, worldwide
Mission: "Helping Children Look Themselves and Live Their Lives"
- Hair replacement systems and support for children is provided at no cost to children or their families
- Provides complimentary, custom-made hairpieces
- Candidates must be referred by their doctor, nurse or social worker Accepts hair donations