Myeloma - Updates from the American Society of Hematology (ASH®) Annual Meeting
Date: December 19, 2011
Time: 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. ET
Read: Myeloma News | Transcript | Transcript (Spanish)
Download: Program Slides
Listen: Presentation | Q&A Session | Presentation/Q&A Session (Spanish)
Access: Virtual Lecture
- Goals of myeloma treatment
- Current treatment approaches and new developments in myeloma therapies
- New developments in stem cell transplantation to treat myeloma
- Maintenance therapy updates for myeloma
- Quality of life issues in the treatment of patients with myeloma
Robert Z. Orlowski,MD, PhD
Chair, Southwest Oncology Group Myeloma Committee
Professor, Departments of Lymphoma/Myeloma and Experimental Therapeutics
Division of Cancer Medicine
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Questions Asked by the Myeloma Community
- How accurate is the M protein count in determining the level of cancer in the marrow?
- Can you say something about treatment for an increased number of copies of 1q?
- Please talk about minimal residual disease (MRD) testing for multiple myeloma.
- With this disease, should we be using the term remission?
- What is the current data on subcutaneous administration of bortezomib (Veclade®)?
- To measure how much myeloma a patient with oligosecretory disease has, what tests are needed?
- What is your opinion of treating with doxorubicin (Doxil®)? Are there risks?
- Is there an alternative to Doxil if there have been bad reactions to both Velcade and lenalidomide (Revlimid®)?
- With disease slowly returning after an autologous transplant five and a half years ago, would you recommend another transplant?
- Can you offer some explanation of why the serum M spike and the urine M spike show at varying levels?
- What is your opinion about going on a clinical trial after treatment with an autolgous transplant?
- Should all post-stem cell transplant Revlimid maintenance therapies include low dose dexamethasone?
- Should maintenance therapy be considered after a transplant?
- Can you explain vaccines for myeloma?
- Are there any new treatments for patients who develop leptomeningeal myelomatosis?
- If found to be ineligible for a transplant after induction therapy, is there a possibility of being stem cell transplant eligible again?
- Why does myeloma come back aggressively?
- What do you think about waiting until disease progression to do a stem cell transplant versus doing it when a patient is in remission?