Cancer treatment weakens your immune systems. This puts you at increased risk for food-borne illness. It's essential that you handle food properly and safely. Here are some ways you and your family can help keep your food safe:
- Keep your hands, counters, dishes, cutting boards and utensils clean.
- Change sponges and dishtowels often.
- Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly.
- Use separate dishes, cutting boards and utensils for preparing raw meat, fish or poultry.
- Thaw frozen items in the microwave or refrigerator, not on the kitchen counter.
- Use a food thermometer to make sure that meat is fully cooked.
- Read the expiration dates on food products and look for signs of food spoilage. If in doubt, throw it out.