What Is Leukemia?
Leukemia is a type of cancer that affects the blood and bone marrow, the spongy center of bones where our blood cells are formed. The disease develops when blood cells produced in the bone marrow grow out of control.
An estimated 48,610 new cases of leukemia are expected to be diagnosed in the United States in 2013.
Common Types of Leukemia
The four most common types of leukemia are:
- acute myeloid leukemia (AML)
- acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL)
- chronic myeloid leukemia (CML)
- chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL)
Each main type of leukemia is named according to the type of cell that's affected (a myeloid cell or a lymphoid cell) and whether the disease begins in mature or immature cells.
Other types of leukemia and related disorders include:
After diagnosis and treatment, many people with leukemia live many good, quality years. You may find that knowing more about the disease and its treatment can help you cope.
LLS Support Services
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) offers many ways to help you cope, from live telephone support to family support groups to online chats and more. To learn more about our free programs for patients, family members and caregivers, see Get Information and Support.
We also offer free informational publications and education programs, such as:
- disease and treatment guides for ALL, AML, CLL and CML
- the Leukemia Education Series featuring the latest information about each disease type and treatment options
- LeukemiaLinks, a monthly eNewsletter with the latest news, research updates, clinical trials and events sponsored by LLS
- eNewsline, a monthly eNewsletter with the latest information about blood cancer research and treatment, LLS events, news and featured LLS programs and comments from individuals coping with blood cancer
Source: Understanding Leukemia.
Resource Center Related Links:
under Free Education Materials (14):
- 2013 Advocacy Brochure
- Blood Cancer Facts 2013 Flyer
- Blood Cells/Lymphatic System
- Facts Spring 2014
- Understanding Leukemia
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- The ALL Guide: Information for Patients and Caregivers
- The CLL Guide: Information for Patients and Caregivers
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- The AML Guide: Information for Patients and Caregivers
- The CML Guide: Information for Patients and Caregivers
- Hairy Cell Leukemia Facts
under Suggested Reading (3):
- Childhood Leukemia Guide for Families, Friends and Caregivers
- The Amazing Hannah: Look at Everything I Can Do!
- Adult Leukemia: A Comprehensive Guide for Patients and Families