The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) exists to find cures for blood cancers and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. The fervor with which experts, patients and supporters rally around this cause is impressive and it’s only because of that synergy that we’re able to make such significant progress in saving lives.
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, we wanted to share five reasons we are giving thanks this holiday season.
- Smart Scientists Who Turn Dollars Into Groundbreaking Developments. Top-tier researchers are keeping us on the cutting edge of disease developments and breakthrough therapies. LLS has invested more than more than $1 billion in research over the past 65 years and is currently supporting nearly 300 research projects.
- Generous Donors. Individuals, corporations and foundations were exceptionally generous in FY15, providing more than $100 million to directly fund our researchers and provide free information, education and support to blood cancer patients and their families.
- Specialists Who Have the Answers. Our Information Resource Center specialists receive phone calls or email requests from more than 60,000 people a year, guiding them through cancer treatment, financial and social challenges.
- Supporters with Energy and Passion. This fall saw 750,000 individuals participate in almost 180 Light The Night Walks around the country, raising $61.6 million to support blood cancer research and patient services. More than 12,500 runners, walkers, swimmers and hikers signed up with Team In Training and raised another $41.8 million.
- Patients Willing to Join Clinical Trials. Advances in treatment depend on clinical trials that test the effectiveness of new therapies or combinations of therapies. If it weren’t for patients willing to take part in these carefully controlled research studies, we wouldn’t be able to improve treatment options, increase survival and improve quality of life.
Thank you all!