How many people can answer the question, "What are you doing with your life?" with the answer, "I help find cures for cancer." At LLS, employees and volunteers take our mission seriously. Whether you work in one of our chapters, are an accountant at the national office, a specialist in our Information Resource Center or a die hard volunteer, you work each day on making our mission a reality: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.
Join us and give new meaning to your life.
Position Title: Marathon Coach (Tacoma Area)
- The position of Marathon Coach is a contracted consultant position that provides coaching services to marathon and half marathon participants of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training, the world's largest endurance sports training program.
- Please note the time commitment for this position is typically 5-10 hours per week depending on weekend group training length. Team In Training coaches are compensated based on the number of teammates each season (and thus may vary each season).
- Assist staff with recruitment efforts
- Develop weekly training schedules for participants at each level: beginner, intermediate and advanced.
- Coordinate and/or lead weekly or bi-weekly training sessions, including:
- Choose training courses and secure permits as necessary.
- Provide clear route maps to all participants and mark the course as needed.
- Establish water stop locations at appropriate intervals.
- Begin each session with appropriate warm-up exercises, stretching, and announcements.
- Ensure that all participants are supported throughout each training session and finish safely.
- Provide an emergency plan at all training sessions and communicate this plan to the participants prior to the run.
- Recruit speakers for training clinics to be held in conjunction with group training sessions
- Be available during the week, by phone or by email, to answer training-related questions.
- Attend seasonal event as assigned, assisting staff, as necessary, during event weekend and ensuring all team members finish the event safely and are accounted for at end of day. Run coaches are expected to participate in the event to support participants only, not to race themselves.
- Obtain and maintain CPR-certification.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Commitment to the mission of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Works well with people of all athletic abilities
- Friendly, outgoing, and energetic personality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Previous Team In Training experience is great, but not required. Marathon experience is a must.
Please submit a cover-letter, resume and list of references to:
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Team In Training
Washington/Alaska Chapter Chapter
123 NW 36th St Suite 100
Seattle, WA 98107
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) does not accept resumes from third party recruitment/search firms. Please do not forward resumes to LLS employees or any company locations or email addresses. LLS is not responsible for any fees related to resumes not solicited by LLS Recruiting.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.