The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) sponsors free community-based education programs for patients, their families, caregivers and healthcare professionals.
Local doctors and other healthcare professionals lead these programs, described below. You will get information about treatment options and learn how to strengthen your decision-making and coping skills, manage treatment side effects and find resources, including financial assistance.
Call 713.840.0483 for more information
Educational Event for Blood Cancer Patients and Survivors
When: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Where: Houston Medical Hospital, 6670 Bertner Ave., Houston, TX 77030
During this seminar, you will hear from our expert physicians as they discuss advancements in the treatment and research of blood cancers, learn about supportive care opportunities available to you during and after your treatment, and listen as patients share their experiences.
Attendance to this event is free; however, registration is required. To register, visit houstonmethodist.org/blood-cancer-patient-event or call 713-790-3333.
Ph+CML Game Day
Novartis Oncology presents Ph+CML Game Day - a unique day of education, support, and networking for you and your loved ones affected by Ph+Chronic Myeloid Leukemia.
When: September 13th, 2014
Where: Hilton Houston Southwest
- Hear from a distinguished hematology/oncology health care provider and an experienced social worker
- Listen to NBA Hall of Famer and all-time leading scorer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*, or another person who has chosen to share the story of their personal Ph+CML journey with you
- Learn about the experiences of others in your region who have Ph+CML or who care for someone with Ph+CML
- Ask a nutritionist and other experts the questions about Ph+CML that are most important to you
*Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is scheduled to appear at several, but not all, Ph+CML Game Day events. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is an actual Ph+CML patient and is compensated by Novartis.
Save the Date!
The State of Blood Cancer - Updates on Adult Acute & Chronic Leukemias & MDS
When: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 9:00am - 3:00pm
Where: Trevisio Restaurant and Conference Center (located on the 6th floor of the Commons) 6550 Bertner St., Houston, TX 77030
Join The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Texas Gulf Coast Chapter on The State of Blood Cancers. This year's focus will be on Adult Acute & Chronic Leukemias & MDS. Patients will hear from local healthcare experts and professionals that donate their time to discuss the most current information in Leukemia & MDS.
Our goal is to provide:
- Knowledge and access to the most current information
- Share local and national resources
- Engage patients and their caregivers on significant common survivorship issues
- Dr. Ronald DePinho, Keynote Speaker, President of MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Dr. Naveen Pemmaraju, Assistant Professor, Department of Leukemia MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Dr. Swaminathan Iyer, Associate Professor of Medicine, Houston Methodist Cancer Center, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Dr. Sai Ravi Pingali, Associate Professor of Medicine, Houston Methodist Cancer Center, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Dr. Courtney DiNardo, Assistant Professor, Department of Leukemia, MD Anderson Cancer Center
Support by a Grant from:
Can't make it to one of our local programs? We also sponsor many free live and archived teleconferences, podcasts, webcasts and more that you can view at your convenience. For a complete list of our programs, see our National Patient Education Programs web page.
To learn more about our patient education programs, call 713.680.8088.