How many people can answer the question, "What do you do for a living?" with the answer, "I help find cures for cancer." At LLS, employees take our mission seriously. Whether you work in one of our chapters, are an accountant at the national office or a specialist in our Information Resource Center, you work each day on making our mission a reality: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.
Join us and give new meaning to the word, "job."
Position Title: Development Director
Location: Houston, TX
Basic Function: Responsible for overall development (immediate and strategic) of a broad base of campaigns, special event and donor based, for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society within the chapter's chartered area. Senior level management responsibility/accountability for financial and human resources.
Work Direction: Works under the supervision and direction of the Chapter Executive Director or Deputy Executive Director, requiring management approval for activities outside the annual Plan of Operation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops a comprehensive Plan of Operations for assigned special events and all donor based income activities including budgets, timelines, logistics, volunteer activities and recruitment, marketing and sponsorship plans as warranted.
- Provides leadership for research, prospect identification, proposal development, volunteer leadership coordination and solicitation for individual, corporate, foundation and major gifts development.
- Responsible for supervising and training campaign and support staff in the delivery of donor based and other income programs.
- Manages and assures that media, material, in-kind and cash sponsorships are secured for corresponding campaigns through a coordinated plan that includes proposal development, prospect identification, cultivation, retention and recognition.
- Manages and assures the development of all materials required for the successful implementation of assigned donor based and special event campaigns including recruitment/promotional flyers and brochures, invitations, posters, training materials, pledge retrieval or motivational materials, etc.
- Responsible for volunteer management (i.e. recruitment, training, motivation, supervision and evaluation) required to plan and implement assigned special events and/or donor cultivation.
- Identifies target audiences and builds appropriate marketing and monitoring strategies to successfully recruit, acknowledge, and retain event donors/participants.
- Develops and coordinates promotional activities to ensure the success of campaigns and to enhance public awareness of LLS and its mission.
- Monitors income and expenses associated with assigned campaigns and facilitates comprehensive campaign records, evaluations and reports.
- Assists, as assigned, in the development and implementation of other chapter activities.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the LLS mission and its programs to address them.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Capable of balancing multiple priorities effectively.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and committed to excellence.
- Capable of working well with a variety of personalities and leadership styles.
- Highly organized and professional demeanor.
- Resourcefulness, promotions savvy and problem solving acumen.
- Good computer skills. (word processing and database programs)
- Minimum preferred education - Bachelor's Degree.
- 1-3 or more years special event and donor based fund raising and communications, sales, or marketing experience.
- Demonstrated staff management capabilities.
For consideration, please forward cover letter with resume and salary history (SALARY HISTORY MUST BE INCLUDED FOR CONSIDERATION) to:
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Texas Gulf Coast Chapter
5433 Westheimer, Suite 300
Houston, TX 77056
Fax: (713) 877-8534
Online: Development Director
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) does not accept resumes from third party recruitment/search firms. Please do not forward resumes to LLS employees or any company locations or email addresses. LLS is not responsible for any fees related to resumes not solicited by LLS Recruiting.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.