Position Announcement: Fundraising Director, Light The Night Events
Location: New York City, New York
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary health organization dedicated to funding blood cancer research and providing education and patient services. Founded in 1949, we are relentless in pursuit of our mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.
- The LLS Light The Night Walk funds lifesaving research and support for people battling cancer. Friends, families and co-workers form fundraising teams and millions of consumers help by donating at retail outlets. These efforts culminate in inspirational, memorable evening Walks in nearly two hundred communities each Fall across North America. The NYC Chapter is one of 61 chapters throughout the U.S. and Canada and seen as a standard in the network. To continue this great work, LLS - NYC Chapter is now seeking a Fundraising Director, Light The Night Events. For more information about LLS and the Light The Night walk visit: www.lls.org
- The Fundraising Director, Light The Night Events is responsible for overseeing and managing the three NYC Chapter Light The Night Walk campaigns (Manhattan, Staten Island, and Queens) including event and fundraising planning, budgeting and implementation within the New York Metro area. In 2012 the NYC Light The Night walks brought in over 6,000 walkers and raised over $3.5 Million, the highest of any LLS chapter. LLS is now in search of a Fundraising Director, Light The Night Events to oversee the planning, execution, and success of these three walks going forward. This team has been growing over the past two years and the Fundraising Director, Light The Night Events will be dedicated to further supporting the growth of a highly dedicated team. The Fundraising Director, Light The Night Events reports directly to the Senior Campaign Director and supervises a team of 4 Senior Managers. They also work closely with the entire LLS staff as well as outside vendors.
- Develop a comprehensive Plan of Operations for the Manhattan Light The Night Walk which includes budgets, timelines, logistics, team recruitment, volunteer activities, sponsorship and fundraising plans
- Hold bottom-line responsibility for meeting aggressive revenue goals through participant and team fundraising for annual Manhattan, Staten Island, and Queens Light The Night Walk campaigns
- Supervise and train campaign and support staff in the delivery of Light The Night
- Plan and execute cash sponsorships and in-kind donation processes, including proposal development, prospect identification, cultivation, retention and recognition
- Manage and oversee identification, recruitment and support of high level volunteer leadership committee which is responsible for team and sponsorship recruitment and directly impacts Light The Night campaign revenue and awareness
- Track and adjust the Light The Night campaign income and expenses; Compile and analyze comprehensive campaign records, evaluations and reports to find efficiencies and room for revenue growth
- Seek additional opportunities for corporate sponsorship, volunteer engagement, and mobilizing walkers to increase revenues and year-over-year revenue retention
- Manage and assure the development of all materials required for the successful implementation of Light The Night including recruitment/promotional flyers and brochures, invitations, posters, training materials, pledge retrieval or motivational materials, etc.
- Oversee volunteer management (i.e. recruitment, training, motivation, supervision and evaluation) required to plan and implement walk related events
- Assist in the development and implementation of other chapter activities
- Serve as an ambassador of the LLS mission and its programs to address them
- Minimum 8 years of professional work experience with 4 or more years of events management, project management, fundraising or marketing experience
- Strong staff management experience with interest in mentoring and further developing a team of managers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Capable of balancing multiple priorities effectively
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and committed to excellence
- Capable of working well with a variety of personalities and leadership styles
- Highly organized and professional demeanor with a strong ability to multi-task and adjust to changing circumstances
- Strong computer skills and able to work with databases
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience required
- Ability to thrive in a goal-oriented, fast-paced, customer service focused, and team-oriented environment
- Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, at
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- LLS offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
LLS is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers:
LLS has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Fundraising Director, Light The Night Events. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm for the nonprofit sector. With robust networks, a range of service offerings, and accessible fees, Commongood Careers is committed to providing a smarter way for the nation?s leading edge nonprofits to make high-impact hires. Since 2005, Commongood Careers has led over 600 searches for 200 organizations in 29 states, making us one of the most experienced nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit jobs at Commongood Careers.