How many people can answer the question, "What do you do for a living?" with the answer, "I help find cures for cancer." At LLS, employees take our mission seriously. Whether you work in one of our chapters, are an accountant at the national office or a specialist in our Information Resource Center, you work each day on making our mission a reality: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.
Join us and give new meaning to the word, "job."
Job Title: Director of Donor Development
Location: Alexandria, VA
Chapter: National Capital Area Chapter
Basic Overview and Function: Responsible for donor development activity
within chapter to include major outright gifts, annual appeals, individual giving, institutional giving, foundation giving, planned giving, donor stewardship activity and third party events. Includes working closely with the Executive Director to manage chapter's Board of Trustees.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute an integrated strategic plan for the chapter's donor development program. Included will be strategies focused on major gifts, institutional giving, individual giving, foundation giving, planned giving and donor stewardship activity. Responsible for a budget of $1.5 million.
- Supervise Donor Development Campaign Specialist whose duties include program and administrative support for the chapter's donor development activities and board of trustees.
- Responsible for direction and leadership in training, marketing, volunteer development and prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Direct fundraising activities with prospective donors to include -creating and implementing strategies to secure major gifts for LLS programs, cultivating relationships with key prospects within the chapter's chartered area, and developing a comprehensive plan to manage relationships between LLS and its individual, corporate and foundation sponsors/supporters.
- Work with National Office staff in securing major gifts to support research and patient services.
- Develop and write grant proposals for foundations, corporations and public agencies within the chapter's chartered area. Meet with prospective organizations and agencies.
- Coordinate donor activities, stewardship and recognition, and marketing strategies with the National Office.
- Oversee the chapter's Combined Federal Campaign through outreach and coordination to government entities.
- Serve as liaison with groups and associations involved in major gift fund raising.
- Represent LLS to companies and organizations within the chapter's region that are involved in the donor development area.
- Responsible for staying abreast of blood cancer research and treatments to serve as a subject matter expert within the local chapter.
- Maintain a working knowledge of LLS's mission and its programs to address them.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to make public presentations.
- Experience managing complex programs and capable of balancing multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to collaborate and partner with chapter staff to identify and cultivate donor prospects.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and committed to excellence.
- Highly professional demeanor.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Minimum education - Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum of 5 years donor based fundraising and communications, sales and marketing experience.
- Demonstrated staff management capabilities
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to:
Attn: Director of Operations
National Capital Area Chapter
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
5845 Richmond Hwy., Ste 800
Alexandria, VA 22303
Fax: (703) 399-2901
Online: Director, Donor Development
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) does not accept resumes from third party recruitment/search firms. Please do not forward resumes to LLS employees or any company locations or email addresses. LLS is not responsible for any fees related to resumes not solicited by LLS Recruiting.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.IND123