How many people can answer the question, "What do you do for a living?" with the answer, "I help find cures for cancer." At LLS, employees take our mission seriously. Whether you work in one of our chapters, are an accountant at the national office or a specialist in our Information Resource Center, you work each day on making our mission a reality: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.
Join us and give new meaning to the word, "job."
Job Title: Campaign Director of Special Events
Job Location: National Capital Area Chapter
Basic Function: Responsible for management and operations of the Special Events
Department and will report directly to the Deputy Executive Director.
The National Capital Area Chapter seeks a highly motivated, energetic and mature professional to serve as the Director of Special Events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for overseeing operations and activities of Special Events department with an overall fundraising budget of $2,000,000. Events include School and Youth, Student of the Year, Regatta, IHOP National Pancake Day, Best of Washington and partial pieces of the Leukemia Ball, Brian Orakpo Leukemia Golf Classic and Man & Woman of the Year.
- Highly engaged in volunteer recruitment and management for the Student of the Year Campaign and will work closely with Campaign Director of Priority Campaigns for the successful execution of the Student of the Year campaign, a new initiative in FY14.
- Work closely with all Chapter Campaign Directors to expand volunteer recruitment and engagement cross-campaigns. Encourage and display ability to ?make the connection? between Special Events and other departments specifically Team In Training, Light The Night, Man & Woman of the Year, Donor Development and Marketing.
- Responsible for supervising, training and mentoring campaign and support staff in the successful delivery of special events.
- Making efficient staff deployment and hiring decisions
- Organizing the group into a strong and effective working team environment
- Recognizing bottlenecks in department
- Filling in where needed when gaps occur.
- Work with staff to develop a comprehensive Plan of Operations for each special event that includes: budget, timeline, logistics, volunteer recruitment and management, marketing and sponsorship plans for growth.
- Oversee with staff that all media, material, in-kind, and cash sponsorships are secured through a coordinated plan that includes proposal development, prospect identification, cultivation, retention and recognition.
- Oversee volunteer management?work with staff to ensure that each special event has appropriate volunteer structure and plan (i.e. recruitment, training, motivation, supervision and evaluation) required to implement assigned special event.
- In concert with marketing department and staff, develop marketing and public relations plan to ensure successful special event and to enhance the LLS mission.
- Become immediately and totally familiar with budgets for all special events under the purview of Special Events Director. Responsible for tracking results and provide feedback and proactively take steps to keep events on track to hit or surpass goals.
- Work with Deputy Executive Director and Executive Director on strategies to grow each special event?make suggestions for the addition or deletion of events.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the mission of LLS and its programs to address them.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Superior staff management capabilities
- Strong relationship management skills with volunteers at all levels
- Capable of working well with a variety of personalities and leadership styles.
- Capable of balancing multiple priorities effectively.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and committed to excellence.
- Highly organized and professional demeanor.
- Resourcefulness, promotions savvy and problem solving acumen.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Good computer skills (word processing and database programs)
- Minimum preferred education - Bachelor`s degree
- 5+years fund raising and communications, sales, or marketing experience.
- A team player.
Please forward resume, cover letter, and salary history (SALARY HISTORY MUST BE INCLUDED FOR CONSIDERATION):
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Attn: National Capital Area Chapter
5845 Richmond Hwy., Suite 800
Alexandria, VA 22303
Fax: (703) 399-2901
Online: Campaign Director of Special Events
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) does not accept resumes from third party recruitment/search firms. Please do not forward resumes to LLS employees or any company locations or email addresses. LLS is not responsible for any fees related to resumes not solicited by LLS Recruiting.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.