How many people can answer the question, "What do you do for a living?" with the answer, "I help find cures for cancer." At LLS, employees take our mission seriously. Whether you work in one of our chapters, are an accountant at the national office or a specialist in our Information Resource Center, you work each day on making our mission a reality: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.
Join us and give new meaning to the word, "job."
Position Title: Head Marathon Run & Walk Coach (Team In Training)
Position Location: Mississippi/Louisiana Chapter (New Orleans, LA and surrounding areas)
- The MS/LA chapter's Team In Training program is currently hiring a walk and run coach for the upcoming Winter season.
- The season timeline begins August 19, 2013 and ends February 3, 2014.
- The Coach position is a seasonal contracted consultant position that provides coaching services to Marathon participants of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training program. While we do pay our coaches for their services, much of the responsibilities throughout the season are considered volunteer work.
- This is a position for someone with a strong commitment to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society mission and a passion for volunteering.
- Assist with recruitment of participants by attending and speaking at information meetings and Kick Off Celebrations.
- Actively promote the Team In Training program through word of mouth, community races, local running groups, etc.
- Attend and participate in pre-season meetings.
- Octain CPR/First Aid certification prior to the start of coaching duties that will remain valid thoughout the season.
- The MSLA Chapter will reimburse up to $100 for a coach to obtain his/her CPR/First Aid certification.
- Develop season-long detailed daily training schedules tailored to distinct varying ability levels of participants: beginner, intermediate and advanced.
- Communicate with staff and training captains to create a schedule of coach led weekend runs and staff/training captain led weekend runs thoughout the season.
- Send welcome emails and phone calls to new participants as they register for Winter season events.
Training Season Duties:
- Work with current Chapter coaches to develop a training program for individuals of different levels for half and full marathons.
- Be available by email/phone to help participants with training issues/questions.
- Choose training courses and lead 2 group training sessions per month that will take place on Saturday mornings.
- Send communication to participants on training times and locations.
- Work with staff on scheduling various clinics (i.e. nutrition, form & breathing, injury prevention, etc) throughout the training season.
- Provide training materials and information related to clinics.
- Support the Campaign Manager/Team in efforts towards growing your local team.
- Ability to teach correct running form and recognize injuries when they occur.
- Provide clear route maps to all participants and mark the course as needed.
- Establish water stop locations at appropriate intervals.
- Ensure that all participants are supported throughout each training session and finish safely.
- Maintain a positive attitude and create an inspiring environment that encourages and supports all participants.
- Eagerness to see participants have a positive experience with Team In Training.
- Partner with LLS Staff to provide a competitive, customer service focused program.
- This includes a timely response to staff, adherence to TNT policies, and adhere to TNT professional conduct expectations.
Race/Event Weekend Duties (if selected as an event coach):
- Assist staff, as necessary, during event weekend and ensure all team members (not just your local team) finish the event safely and are accounted for at the end of the day.
- Attend inspiration dinners and victory parties.
- Provide support and encouragement to ALL Team In Training athletes on the course.
- Remain on the course until all Team In Training athletes have successfully completed the event.
- Meet with staff for a debrief of the season.
- Send congratulatory email to your participants.
- Commitment to the mission of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
- Good communication skills via phone and email.
- Completed past marathons.
- Works well with people of all athletic abilities.
- Friendly, outgoing and energetic personality.
- Has participated in at least 1 TNT race/event.
- Previous coaching, leadership and motivational experience preferred.
- Completion of endurance events required (i.e. at least 1 full marathon, half marathons, triathlons, etc.)
For consideration please email or call:
Amy Schneider-Team In Training Campaign Manager at 504.837.0945
Stephanie Clary - TNT Campaign Specialist 504.837.0945
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) does not accept resumes from third party recruitment/search firms. Please do not forward resumes to LLS employees or any company locations or email addresses. LLS is not responsible for any fees related to resumes not solicited by LLS Recruiting.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.