How many people can answer the question, "What do you do for a living?" with the answer, "I help find cures for cancer." At LLS, employees take our mission seriously. Whether you work in one of our chapters, are an accountant at the national office or a specialist in our Information Resource Center, you work each day on making our mission a reality: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.
Join us and give new meaning to the word, "job."
Position Title: Head Hike Coach (Team In Training)
Greater Los Angeles Chapter (Los Angeles, CA)
The position of Head Cycle Coach is a contracted consultant position that provides coaching services to participants of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training®, the world's largest charity sports training program.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with recruitment of participants by attending and speaking at information meetings and Kickoff and actively promote Team In training program through word of mouth, community races, writing articles, etc.
- Recruit, interview, and hire Assistant Coaches for the Team.
- Attend and participate in all pre-season meetings.
- Obtain CPR/First Aid certification prior to start of coaching duties that will remain valid throughout the season.
- Develop season-long detailed daily training schedules tailored to distinct varying ability levels of participants: beginner, intermediate, and advanced.
Training Season Duties:
- Develop training materials and information related to clinics and other key topics.
- Send communication to participants on practice times and locations and various training topics.
- Be available during the week, by phone/email, to answer training-related questions within 24 hours.
- Coordinate and lead all team training events, with a minimum of one coach-led weekend training event every week. Ideally, coaches should also coordinate and lead one mid-week training session per week.
- Maintain a positive attitude and create an inspiring environment that encourages and supports all participants.
- Train, mentor and evaluate the Assistant Coach(es).
- Communicate with and manage volunteer Mentors, Captains, and other Support Staff.
- Familiarize yourself with the rules of the event, communicate them and event ethics to your Team.
- Partner with LLS staff to provide a competitive, customer service focused program. This includes timely response to staff, adherence to TNT policies, adhere to TNT professional conduct expectations, and participation in pre-season, mid-season and end of season meetings with TNT Manager and/or Director.
- Attend team socials including: end of season wrap-up parties, recommitment events, and send-off parties.
Race/Event Weekend Duties (if selected as an Event Coach):
- Assist staff, as necessary, during event weekend and ensure all team members from around the country finish the event safely and are accounted for at the end of the day.
- Attend inspiration dinners and victory parties.
- Provide support and encouragement to ALL Team In Training athletes on the course.
- Remain on the course until all Team in Training athletes have successfully completed the event.
- Meet with Campaign Manager for a debrief of the season.
- Provide feedback to Assistant Coach(es) if applicable and make recommendations on next steps for them.
Commitment to the mission of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Works well with people of all athletic abilities
Friendly, outgoing, and energetic personality
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Previous Team In Training experience is preferred, but not required. Extensive Hike experience is a must.
For consideration, please complete the coach application below and submit with a cover letter and list of references to:
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Greater Los Angeles Chapter
6033 W. Century Blvd., Ste. 300
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Fax: (310) 342-5801
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE COACH APPLICATION
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) does not accept resumes from third party recruitment/search firms. Please do not forward resumes to LLS employees or any company locations or email addresses. LLS is not responsible for any fees related to resumes not solicited by LLS Recruiting.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.