The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) sponsors free community-based education programs designed for patients and their families.
National and local experts, including doctors and other healthcare professionals, lead these programs, described below. They offer education and information that will deepen the public's understanding of treatment options and strengthen decision-making and coping skills related to the many aspects of survivorship.
Annual Blood Cancer Conference
"New Paths to Treatment and Hope"
February 28, 2015
10:30 am - 6:00 pm
Mercy Medical Center Downtown Campus Conference and Education Center
For maps and parking go to: http://www.mercydesmoines.org/about_mercy/maps_central.cfm
This conference is free.
Complementary boxed lunch and snacks provided
CEUs for healthcare professionals are also available.
For information, contact Wendy Sontag at (800) 347-1074 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
10:30 - 11:00 a.m. Registration and vendors
11:00 - 12:00 p.m. Welcome and Joint Keynote for Professionals and Patients Dr. Brian Freeman, Medical Oncology and Hematology Associates
12:00 - 1:20 p.m. Session II - Patient Conversations with the Experts (boxed lunch) Disease groups
1:30 - 2:20 p.m. Session III - Break Outs
1. Who Am I Now? Dealing with the emotional aspects of cancer survivorship. Jeffrey K. Ellens, Ph.D, Licensed Psychologist
2. What's Your Story? Using writing to help during and after treatment. Yasmina Madden, Drake University
3. Where's the Money? Finding financial assistance and navigating health insurance. Amber Judge, Patient Advocate, Medical and Hematology Associates
4. When Can I Play? Physical wellness and exercise to maximize survivorship. Trina Radske-Suchan, MPT, CSCS, FMSC, Medical Program Executive, YMCA
5. Why Can't I Remember? Coping with Chemobrain. Susan Fagg, MA, CCC/SLP, Mercy Rehabilitation
6. How Do I Return to Work? Continuing working during and after treatment. Christine Brennan, Associate Director of Programs, Cancer and Careers
2:30 - 3:20 p.m. Session IV (repeat of Session III break outs)
3:30 - 4:00 p.m. Survivor panel - How LLS Can Help
4:00 - 4:50 p.m. Closing Keynote "The Other 'C' Word" Erin Barfels, survivor and Certified Life Coach
4:50 - 5:00 p.m. Closing and evaluations
5:00 - 6:00 p.m. NEW this Year! Post conference Meet and Greet with Above & Beyond Cancer founder, Dr. Richard L. Deming and local musician, James Biehn
Topics include the importance of an accurate diagnosis, diagnostic tests, goals of treatment, current and emerging therapies.