An Honored Hero is a dedicated individual or family member, affected by a blood cancer, who serves as an inspiration and provides support to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS).
Becoming an Honored Hero is an easy and meaningful way for patients, survivors and their families to support LLS's mission. Stories of strength and courage will be shared with participants and donors to motivate and encourage them to raise funds to benefit LLS. An Honored Hero's story helps put a "face" to LLS's mission, connecting donors and participants further to the cause through various opportunities:
- Speaking engagements
- Participating in an LLS event
- Becoming a Patient Services Ambassador
- Sharing one's story/image on marketing materials
- Writing thank you notes
- Light The Night events are evenings filled with inspiration. During this leisurely walk, walkers carry illuminated balloons and form a community of caring, bringing light to the dark world of cancer. Honored Heroes may offer their story to help publicize the event, volunteer at the Walk or write thank you notes to sponsors and participants.
- Man & Woman of the Year is a spirited 10-week campaign in which nominated candidates compete to raise the most money in honor of local pediatric cancer patients and survivors, the Boys & Girls of the Year. Young Honored Heroes can be a Boy or Girl of the Year and serve as a source of motivation and inspiration for the candidates.
- Patient Services provides educational, emotional, and financial support to patients and families whose lives have been touched by a blood cancer. Honored Heroes can become Patient Services Ambassadors, representing LLS and sharing information about the organization with the community. Honored Heroes are also invited to share their story with legislatures and local politicians to advocate on behalf of LLS.
- School & Youth Programs is a community service program in which students collect loose change to raise funds for blood cancer research and patient services. Honored Heroes may be featured on a poster or visit schools to share their story.
- Team In Training participants are supported in achieving their goal of walking or running a marathon or half marathon, cycling a century ride, or completing a triathlon or hike while they raise funds for LLS's mission. Honored Heroes motivate team members through communication during training and attendance at team functions.
- The Leukemia Cup Regatta is a thrilling event that combines the joy of sailing with the chance to win great prizes for raising funds to fight leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Each year, along with their own personal reasons, the Leukemia Cup Regatta sailors race and fundraise in honor of our Honorary Skipper.
To become an Honored Hero, please contact your LLS office.